Thursday, June 24, 2010






Today started out kinda rough for me..... I woke up not feeling so great. Had a really bad headache and kinda felt quesy. So I got up, took a shower, Josh was sweet and made me toast, took some Ibuprofen and laid down for a bit. Thankfully we had planned a later start for the morning so I was able to rest on the couch for about an hour. I think jet lag and me not drinking water was the cause, but no worries I feel great now! We left the house around 10:30-10:45 and head to the boat docks.... I dont think Josh and I knew then traveling adventures we had in store for us ahead! Once we made it to the docks by car, we walked to the boat docks and took a wooden boat across Lake Victoria in order to make it to the Bethany House. We were on the boats for about 15-20 minutes. It was fun, great scenery, and cool breeze! But the doctors from America had warned our friends not to put any parts of our bodies in Lake Victoria because its filled with parasites. So when the boat would hot some of the choppy water and splash us you should of seen your faces.... we all had our eyes and mouths clenched shut! I bet to the drivers we looked ridiculous but thats better that having parasites :) Once we made it across Josh and I FINALLY got to experience the Boda Boda's = motorcylce taxis!!! This was lots of FUN! We have a picture above of Josh and I with the driver on our Boda, yes there are three adults that ride one motorcycle and NO helmets. Thats the first thing i asked about but barely anyone has them and Im not so sure I would want to necessarily share a helmet with tons of people. We rode the motorcycle for 10 min ore so and finally arrived to the Bethany House. We went to see this house that has transformed this orphanage into a self sufficient community with help of sponsorships. Jay, Allen, and Carrie wanted to show us this place because this is the long term dream/goal for Sozo orphanage. There are 15 homes on the property, each house has 10-15 kids and a house mom. There is also a school, medical clinic, and church. They teach the kids agriculture and how to raise animals and slaughter them to be more self sufficient. It was amazing to see how the sponsorships from people in the USA had provided for this community and that these kids were being raised in Christian homes, schools, and churches and being taught how to provide for themselves once they are old enough to leave. Its not just about giving them stuff and money but teaching them how to be effective and efficient people within their city and country. It was neat to see the goal that lies ahead for Sozo and now with a clear image we can help share the vision and hopefully help raise support for the children of Uganda.
After the Bethany house we Boda backed to the docks and then rode the boat back to land. Next we Boda Boda on the streets.... a little different then riding one on the dirt road like we had earlier. Riding on the dirt roads was more like a dirt bike or four wheeler but only 2 wheels. Riding on the actual rode was a little scary to be quite honest. The cars just swerve a lot and are aggressive so Josh and I held on tighter. We made it back to the Bridge house for lunch safely!
After we ate, we headed to the ATM and then to visit the Watoto Baby Home. Oh my goodness, these children melted my heart!!! This house is absolutely beautiful and such a blessing to the 200 + kids there. Most of these kids have been abandoned. There was one room for preemies and newborns in isolettes.....there were 8 babies in this room. The smallest weighed 4 lbs, SO tiny. Then we went to the room with babies 3months to a year or so. This room had 15-20 babies in it. I got to hold a little girl..... we couldnt quite figure out her name. One person told me Alpha, another said Sasha. Then we went to the clinic room where there are the kids who need extra care because of medical problems or malnutrition. I got to hold twin brothers named Melvis and Kelvis, they were a year old (about the same age as my niece) and they weighed 12-14 lbs. VERY SMALL. Then there was a special little boy that had a lot of medical problems and most of them are unknown. They have sent several lab test to Europe to try and get better answers. His name is "Big Joe", he is one year old and weighs 40+lbs. He has a seizure disorder and is in chronic pain. He was in his crib and SCREAMING, so I of course asked to pick him up. I just swayed with him in my arms (eventually had to sit and rock bc he's a big boy!) and sang to him. He fell asleep for a bit but would wake up crying. I looked at Josh and said that I wish that I could take him home. Such a special baby boy! I will post pictures soon of the kids at Watoto. I wish we had more time to spend there. It is a wonderful place.
Next we headed to the markets to finish our shopping for our families and friends!!! The market was tons of fun, they had great authentic African stuff and you can bargain with the vendors! We got lots of good stuff! We left and fought traffic home showered and then headed to dinner.
We all (David, Alfred, Carrie, Allen, Jay, Mason, Kathryn, Tori, Josh and I) went to dinner for an early birthday celebration because Jay and Allen are leaving in the morning for Kenya. We went to Cafe Roma (Italian restaurant) and it was yummy! I had pasta, Josh got pizza and we shared. Everyone was SO sweet to sing happy birthday to me and pay for my dinner it was a great way to start off tomorrow! Im am so thankful to be here with such great old friends and new friends!
Once we were home sweet Carrie and Josh made me a birthday cake (strawberry and butter cream icing!)..... well sorta! Its totally the thought that counts..... but after only 7-8 minutes in the top of the cake was black. But once we turned it over there was part of the cake perfectly cooked and part that was still runny batter?? Dont know what happened but the finished part was YUMMY and I was so grateful for their thoughtful efforts.... Love yall!
Now we are just hanging out at home, Alfred is teaching Josh how to play an African instrument and they we are being serenaded with worship music by the boys! Another wonderful wonderful day, thank you LORD!

No comments:

Post a Comment