Monday, June 28, 2010

The day we left Uganda





Once we finally made it back to the Bridge house Saturday night, Josh immediately went to bed because he was feeling run down. It took us 2 hrs to get home..... traffic was awful. The traffic in Uganda is worse than 5 o'clock traffic in Birmingham in 280......A LOT worse. There are beggars and street vendors that some up to your windows as you are sitting at a stand still and there is usually NO air conditioner running in the car. At night there is usually a cool breeze since its winter over here right now. Its crazy though because Dowdy, our primary driver all week, never got road rage not once. And of course we all know how road rage is in the US.
We woke up this morning, Sunday, to our last day in Uganda. It baffles me that the week is already coming to an end. We slept in a little bit today and then got up, finished last minute packing, and got ready for church that started at 11. Of course, Alfred cooked us another yummy breakfast. Made me sad that it would be my last time to wake up in the house to all my friends......the adventure was coming to an end. We went to Patrick"s church called Gaba Community Church. It is a super nice facility and great to see what the Lord has been doing in this area of the city. There were actually visitors from Southern California there so the worship was lead by there team and the Gaba worship team together. And their pastor, Steve Larson, from California was the guest speaker. As soon as we walked into the church doors we were welcomed by the greeters and then a Mzunga walks up and introduces herself....her name was Becca and she was from Texas. The worship was mostly in English and was GREAT! Their services last about 2 hours but it really went by fast. A lady named Irene and her little boy Samuel sat beside me. Samuel had the sweetest smile! Of course I took some pictures. Toward the end of the service I gave her one of my lip glosses that I havent used yet and some of my Shillings I had left......she smiled so big and gave me the biggest hug! She was truly grateful! The church service had between 200-300 people attending, its cool to see people from all walks of life and different cultures worship the same GOD. We are all ONE family in Christ!
After church we went and grabbed lunch at a French Bistro and we had pizza. Of course it was good and we continue to stuff ourselves! Then we went back to the Bridge House to load up the car and say our good-byes to Alfred. I really dont like saying Good-bye to people, it makes me sad. I really hope to see each of my new friends again soon..... they have left an everlasting impact on my life and I will never forget them. From the Bridge House we left for Sozo to say more good-byes to the kiddos.
When we arrived the kids were practicing their song and dance they are doing next week a church. It was so sweet to watch the individual personalities shine! Some are a little more timid and reserved where others dont hold back one bit! We just hung out and played some with the kids. When it was time to go I went around to say good bye to all 17 kids, hug them, and tell them we loved them. I hope to see their faces again soon!
Then off to the airport.....once we got to Entebbe we said our last good-byes to Carrie, Dowdy, and Maureen. Each person will be greatly missed :) We love yall! And THANK YOU Carrie for all that you did and being my roomie for the week! It truly is hard to put into words to describe this week..... Josh and I are very thankful for your friendship!
Josh and I proceeded into the airport and realized really quick how blessed we were to have Dowdy with us all week. He drove us around but most of all he is very fluent in English and also understands English very well. The workers in the airport not so much :) But we managed and got through. Now we are just waiting for our flight to board. We go from Entebbe to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Detroit, and Detroit to Birmingham! Home sweet home here we come..... leaving is BITTERSWEET! A big part of my heart is still here in Uganda, I see the need and have the desire to help! I know we will be back at some day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment