Friday, June 25, 2010

Birthday Blessing!

Ok, so this morning was Josh's turn to wake up and not feel so great..... jet lag has set in and I think for him all the dust on the roads has irritated his allergies! But I had medicines handy, so it is feeling a little better.
Today has been a wonderful day and an absolute blessing...... I was able to celebrate my 29th birthday in Africa (the only thing missing was my family!). We traveled to a city called Jinja to go site seeing and have more adventures!!!!
It was about a 2 hour drive to Jinja so we were able to see the countryside of Uganda as we left the city. So I had a lot of time to just look out the window and observe my surroundings and the way people truly live here in Africa. Here I am celebrating the day of my birth, the day that the Lord blessed me with life..... I stand humbled and thankful that the Lord chose me to be born to my specific family, my country (USA), and the abundance of favor I am surrounded by daily. Why me and not these people in Uganda, why have I been so financially blessed?? One of the guys we have spent a lot of time with has become a dear friend and is such a hard worker. In discussing salaries and exchange rates between US dollars and shillings, I figured out that he make in one MONTH what I make in 1.5 HOURS of work..... that is MIND blowing to me. I live in such abundance and sometimes when I am at home I get in a pattern where I don't even notice all the things and luxuries I have around me. The Lord has a specific plan for each of our lives and I am accepting the favor he has shown me.....I choose to give in my abundance. My experiences in other countries has reminded me of what the meaning of true NEED is, and I pray that I never loose sight of all that I have witnessed.
Once we made it to Jinja we stopped at The Source of the Nile restaurant and ordered food..... it supposedly takes a long time to prepare the food so we ordered and left. Then we went to where we planed to take a boat to where the source of the Nile began. It was VERY cool..... they stopped at this little island and we got off and our guide explained where the water was white and bubbling was where the Nile River began, the water from Lake Victoria was pouring into the start of the Nile. The Nile River is where Moses was placed as a baby..... Such history that we witnessed today with our very own eyes. We walked around for a bit and took lots of pictures. Once we got back by boat we headed back to the restaurant but first stopped a shopped a little more :) There were a lot of cute shops up and down the streets in Jinja. It was a cute little town that attracted many Mzunga (white people-not just Americans but Australians and Europeans). We ate lunch and of course Carrie and I left the table early to look at just ONE more shop. Carrie told me that she has shopped the most since I have been here.....it worked out great because we could get all our souvenirs for ourselves and others and had each other for help and advice!
Once we finished in town we headed out to Bujagali Falls..... this place was amazing! There were HUGE rapids everywhere. We walked down toward the water and were greeted by a group of men playing music with one dancing..... He was doing some traditional African dances. Here in Uganda they call you bottom/backside your BACK FIRE. So it has been a popular word to use this week. So the guy dancing was shaking his back fire :)The call the front side your FRONT VIEW- its quite comical! We walked closer to the rapids and it was amazing to just sit and watch and listen to the waters. One teenage boy as us to PAY him to swim across....WHAT?? One it was dangerous and two its not good to pay these people because there a lot of people begging around us and it creates a ripple effect. So we repeated the word Nada = NO in Uganda. We also watched some guy kayak through the rapids and turn over and get themselves right side up again...... crazy to watch and I would not ever do that. Im not scared of much but being held under water or potentially drowning is a fear. I have been white water rafting once back home in Tennessee and I fell out of the raft and since then Im a NO on rafting!
Next we heading to Adrift for ONE MORE ADVENTURE!!! Which do you think Josh and I did??
A. Ride a cow
B. White water raft
C. Bungee Jump
D. Hold an Anaconda

WELL..........................................
It was letter C!!!
Yes, Josh and I bungee jumped over the Nile River! It was AMAZING and such an awesome experience. A true adrenaline rush :) Josh was in once he knew I was going to do it, I know mom reading this probably scares you...... but I am alive and well and NO back pain! Josh tried to convince me not to but I was stubborn! The guy mentioned people with joint, knee, back problems to wear a full body harness but I would have to be careful and push the bungee cord away from my neck to avoid a noose. So i went with the ankle harness (most used!) The tower was about 300 feet (3 times higher than in the US) above the water...... such a great view. We climbed up the stairs and got set up for the jump. I went first because I knew then Josh would HAVE to go or he would never live it down. I scooted my feet to the edge and swan dived off!!!! I was just a few inches from finger tips touching the Nile, we Josh jump he went into the water to his shoulders...... such a GREAT experience to share together in Africa and on my birthday (the first time I bungeed was on my 21st bday at the beach).

Once we got back to Kampala we headed to Sozo orphanage to eat dinner with the kids. We we got there the power was out so we were all hanging out with lanterns. We ate beef and rice and it was yummy. I dont think Josh and I were expecting to eat this GOOD while we were here! But the food has been great! We played with the kids for a little bit after dinner(they cleaned up after themselves and the table and swept the floors!) and watched them get ready for bed and have devotional! These kids are so HAPPY and are in a great place to live now.

One of our new friends David (Dowdy) has made some great and accurate observations of Josh. He told me the other day, "Hey Claire, I like yall together. Josh, he is out there but you help bring him down!" Sounds like the Josh I know..... But it makes me happy!

We are heading back to Sozo tomorrow to hang out for the whole day! I will post pictures soon of kids. There are still several kids who need sponsorship in order to provide three meals a day, school for each child, housing, etc. If anyone is interested in helping any of the kids or want to consider it and would want more info let me know! Some people may not be able or willing to GO but may feel in their heart to GIVE!!!

One last thing..... David who has been our primary driver this week joined us to Jinja but as a passenger. Eddie was our driver today (same driver that picked us up from the airport when we arrived). Let me just day that he drives CRAZY, it literally was a game of chicken swerving in and out all day long. I think the driving made me more nervous then the bungee jump :) I looked down at one point and the speedometer read 110!!!! Not 100% sure if thats mph or in kilometers. Either way it was FAST! Oh and they drive on the opposite side of the road.

1 comment:

  1. Claire, you will have to give White Water Rafting another try. I LOVE IT!!!!!! Falling in the water and all!!! In fact, I plan on going, as soon as Ella gets old enough to stay with the grandparents!

    Also, yall are such a blessing to so many people around you. I can't wait to hear more about your trip to Africa!

    ReplyDelete