Monday, June 14, 2010

Thank you!

Above is a picture of Josh and I with Dannah, Cole (middle), and Eli after eating lunch two weeks ago. I wanted to practice posting a picture on the blog and came across this one and wanted to write something about these sweet sweet kids and their parents (Mark and Penny). Josh has known Mark and Penny since he was a kid in Elba growing up. When he decided to move to Birmingham and take this job the Walker family took him in for a while until he got settled into the "big city". Through Josh I have been given the wonderful opportunity to get to know this family. Dannah always welcomes me with the biggest hugs. She has colored me pictures and is waiting for us to get back from Africa to go swimming with them! Cole is a lot like Josh, LOVES music and serenades us a lot! And Eli loves sports and has one of the sweetest smiles :)
Josh and I stopped by there house a few days ago to pick up some clothes that they have graciously donated for us to take to the children in Uganda. We left with four big trash bags full! There is one thing that touched my heart beyond words when we were at there house. When Penny was about to show the clothes they had she also told me that little Dannah had been helping her and hugging on the clothes. I assumed it meant she was going to miss some of "her stuff" that her mom was packing up. Nope, not at all. Penny said that Dannah was hugging them and praying for the kids that will be receiving these clothes. WOW, those sweet actions of love and prayer came from a 5 year old! In the bible it encourages us to take on a childlike faith. Children love easily, laugh often, and forgive readily. In the book of Matthew it talks about children being the greatest among the Kingdom of Heaven.

"About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?” Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them. Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. “And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me." Matthew 18:1-5

This scripture makes me think about the children in the orphanage that I will be spending time with next week. There is something about the heart and spirit of a child. Regardless of their life circumstances behind there sweet smiles you see HOPE, hope that only comes from the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment